Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
Dermatology, Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery in New York City (NYC) and Manhattan
A tummy tuck – technically called an “abdominoplasty” – is a body contouring procedure designed to eliminate excess skin and fat from your abdominal area, giving your stomach a firmer, more attractive overall appearance. Many women who have undergone pregnancy or significant weight loss seek out a tummy tuck to tighten loose abdominal muscles and restore a flatter, more natural, contoured appearance to their stomach area.
In recent years, an increasing number of men have also been seeking out abdominoplasty to remove excess skin in the abdominal area after major weight loss.
If you are considering a tummy tuck, please call us today at (888) 610-3133 to schedule a confidential consultation with our experienced New York plastic surgeon.
Tummy Tuck Candidates
Tummy tucks are popular for a good reason: they can provide great results for a wide range of people and body types. You might be a good candidate for abdominoplasty if you:
- Are in good overall health
- Are at a stable weight
- Have resistant fat deposits in the waist
- Have sagging skin in your stomach area (not just fat)
- Have loose abdominal muscles
If the above points seem to describe you, a tummy tuck may be the ideal procedure for you. During a personal consultation, one of our surgeons will evaluate your medical history and explain what a tummy tuck can accomplish in your unique case.
Types of Tummy Tucks
There are several variations of the tummy tuck procedure. We will recommend the right one for you based your specific needs. The two main types of abdominoplasties are:
- Mini (partial) abdominoplasty – Mini tummy tucks involve a much smaller incision than a complete abdominoplasty, making them less invasive. Your lower abdominal muscles are tightened, and excess skin is removed from the local area. However, mini tummy tucks cannot tighten skin or muscle that is above your belly button.
- Complete abdominoplasty – A complete tummy tuck can treat muscle separation and bulging as well as looseness of the skin both above and below your belly button, by removing excess skin and tightening the abdominal wall muscles. Complete abdominoplasties are more effective at eliminating stretch marks and treating a larger area of your abdomen.
Liposuction is often combined with a tummy tuck to produce the most dramatic results.
Tummy Tuck Recovery
You will be able to return home the day after your abdominoplasty procedure with the help of a friend or family member. While it is possible to return to work as early as seven days after surgery, we suggest taking 14 days off to allow your body plenty of downtime to heal. The small drain tubes placed during the procedure will be removed sometime between Day 3 and Day 7 of your recovery process.
You may return to light physical activities as early as a week after your tummy tuck, but more strenuous activity should not be resumed for at least four weeks. Abdominal and core exercises should be typically avoided for six weeks. Since each patient heals at a different rate, we will follow up with you to advise you when it is safe to return to different types of activities.
Your final results should be visible approximately three months after surgery.
If you have further questions about abdominoplasty at our practice, please contact JUVA Skin & Laser Center today or call (888) 610-3133 to schedule an initial consultation with one of our experienced NYC plastic surgeon. We serve patients throughout Manhattan and New York City.