Aphrodite Lip Treatment Frequently Asked Questions:
Dermatology, Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery in New York City (NYC) and Manhattan
For those of you experiencing dry lips during the winter season or year round, we’ve introduced our Aphrodite Lip Treatment. Our dermatologist, Dr. Bruce E. Katz, is the first to use hyaluronic acid injections to improve cracked dry lips. Many of you may have questions regarding the treatment, so please view our Frequently Asked Questions below:
- What is the Aphrodite Lip Treatment? It is a single treatment using micro-droplets of hyaluronic acid injections into various areas of your lips.
- What is hyaluronic acid? It is a substance that is naturally present in the skin.
- Why does hyaluronic acid work? It works because of its ability to retain moisture and hydrate tissue. Your lips become dry or cracked because of the lack of moisture. Hyaluronic acid improves your skin’s moisture content as well as strengthens your skin’s outer layers. With hyaluronic acid, your lips’ surface feel and appear softer, smoother and plumper which is directly associated with great health and youth.
- How long does the procedure take? The procedure takes 10-15 minutes.
- How many injections are necessary for top and bottom lips? There are several injections needed. The number depends on the size and condition of your lips.
- How long do results last? Typically 9 months to 1 year.
- Are there any side-effects? There may be occasional minor bruising, which resolves in a day or two.
- Is there any lip discoloration? No, but some patients may experience slight bruising depending on your lips.
- How should patients prepare for treatment? Avoid aspirin and Ibuprofen products for one week before your scheduled procedure to help decrease your chance of bruising.
- Is the procedure painful? The procedure is not painful as a numbing cream or nerve block is used 10-20 minutes before beginning. The effects of numbing from the cream/nerve block will last about an hour.
- Can lips lose sensation from the procedure? No, your lips do not lose any sensation from the treatment.
- Is there any down time/ recovery time? There is no down time/recovery time. You can go back to your regular schedule directly after treatment.
- How soon after can you apply make-up or lipstick? You can apply 20 minutes after the procedure.
- Can chapstick or lip balm be placed on your lips after the procedure or should it be avoided completely? It is okay to apply chapstick or lip balm after 20 minutes, but it is not necessary.
To discuss the Aphrodite Lip Treatment with our Manhattan dermatologist or to schedule an appointment, please contact JUVA Skin & Laser Center today by calling (888) 610-3133.