Is Laser Hair Removal Permanent?

Dermatology, Cosmetic & Laser Surgery
for NYC, Manhattan & Worldwide

Share:
 
Authored by:

No other solution to eliminate unwanted hair provides results that are as long-lasting as laser hair removal. After completing your treatment, the overwhelming majority of hairs removed will never grow back. However, it’s important to understand that your treatment won’t provide 100% permanent results. A small amount of the hair removed may grow back over time, but it will be much finer and lighter than the original hairs that were eliminated during your laser hair removal treatment.

Most laser hair removal patients find that 70-90% of the hair in the treated region is permanently eliminated. This represents a much more effective solution than alternatives such as waxing, shaving or plucking, which require you to repeat the process regularly as your hair grows back.

If you’re tired of regularly grooming your body or facial hair, laser hair removal may be an excellent option for you. This minimally invasive procedure will eliminate the hassles associated with shaving, waxing and plucking. Remove a time-consuming experience from your life once and for all, and eliminate the unwanted breakouts or bumps that often occur after shaving or waxing.

In general, most laser hair removal patients require 4-6 treatment sessions spread out over a one-year period in order to achieve their desired outcome. After this, you can say goodbye to your regular hair grooming regimen once and for all.

What Factors Impact the Permanence of My Laser Hair Removal Treatment?

woman undergoing laser hair removal treatment on her armpitsThe amount of hair that returns after undergoing laser hair removal depends on a variety of factors, including:

  • Hair color and thickness
  • Skin tone
  • The region of the body that is treated

In most instances, the best results are achieved by individuals with light skin and dark hair. The contrast between light skin tone and dark hair color maximizes the amount of laser energy absorbed by your hair follicles. That being said, modern laser hair removal technology has advanced to the point where most people can achieve excellent results, regardless of their skin tone and hair color.

Why Does Some Hair Return after Laser Hair Removal?

Laser hair removal targets the hair follicles that are in the growth phase. At any point in time, roughly 75% of your hair is in this growth phase. The other 25% of your hair is either in the transition phase or the resting phase, which aren’t impacted by the laser. Therefore, any hairs that aren’t in the growth phase won’t be eliminated during your treatment.

For this reason, you will need to undergo several treatment sessions before you experience your desired outcome. In subsequent treatments, hairs which were previously in the resting or transition phases, but are now in the growth phase, will be targeted and destroyed. Over the course of multiple laser hair removal sessions, you will be able to target the vast majority of hairs in the area being treated. However, there may be a small percentage of hairs which were never in the growth phase during these sessions. These are the hairs that will eventually grow back over time.

Schedule a Laser Hair Removal Consultation in Manhattan or Woodside

At JUVA Skin & Laser Center, we use state-of-the-art laser hair removal technology to deliver the best possible results. You can find out if you’re a candidate for the procedure by speaking with our team in person.

Please contact JUVA Skin & Laser Center using the form on this page or call 212-688-5882 today to schedule a laser hair removal consultation. We serve patients throughout the NYC area and around the world from our offices in Manhattan and Woodside.