My mother was a very superstitious woman. She never preached to me about the 7 years of bad luck one is cursed with from breaking a mirror or the possible fatalities someone may incur from walking under a ladder. The superstitions I clench to are not biblical verse but tales of aesthetic undesirables, “Don’t squint, your face will be stuck like that”, “Chocolate gives you pimples”, “The sun makes your skin splotchy” (she was a victim of Melasma) and my personal favorite, “Eat more melons to make your breast grow bigger”.
Did these funny factoids give me a complex, absolutely not! What my mother achieved by passing down these corky expressions was molding a daughter that was in-tune with aging and how to do it gracefully. It’s no coincidence that I am the Practice Manager of the renowned and prestigious JUVA Skin & Laser Center.
The term “Liquid Facelift” is used to describe a combined treatment of injectable dermal fillers (Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse, etc.) and neurotoxins, such as Botox, resulting in a lifted, rejuvenated facial appearance. Sound scary? Well it’s NOT!
Hereditary dark circles under my eyes were what prompted my interest in injectable fillers. At my first appointment with a cosmetic dermatologist (at the age of 21) I was told I was “hollow in my submalar region”. Ummm, ok! Naturally I was horrified I was “hollow” and immediately requested a remedy. The answer: DERMAL FILLERS. 10 minutes & 1 syringe of Restylane later my bags were a thing of the past. One treatment and I was hooked!
Fast forward 10 years, what’s in my face now?! At my last treatment, Medical Director of JUVA Skin & Laser Center, Dr. Bruce E. Katz, artfully spread 2 syringes of Juvederm Voluma XC in my midface creating the desirable runway cheeks I was not born with. 1 syringe of Juvederm in the corner of mouth to turn my lips up at rest and a drop or two at the edge of my jawline to give me more definition. The treatment continued with 1 syringe of Restylane Silk into my “hollowness”! He topped this all off with Botox injections to my “11s” (vertical lines between the brows), my forehead and crow’s feet. The end result, I feel and look amazing! Perhaps you are thinking that sounds excessive but you would never think I had any “work” done!
A few facts I would like to share:
- Botox can be preventative. By reducing facial muscle movement at a younger age (I started at 21), it will prevent the expression lines from forming in the skin.
- Some injectables, like Sculptra, stimulate your body’s natural collagen production.
- Restylane Silk injections in the lip can not only give you a pouty appearance but also keeps your lips hydrated (great for the winter months) because the product attracts water retention in the treated area.
- Hyaluronic acid (The substance in Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane & Belatero) is a substance naturally produced and easily broken down by your body.
- FACT: I was recently carded to see a rated R movie! Yay!
Be sure to follow JUVA Skin & Laser Center to read about my experiences with other procedures and treatments. Call 866-550-3166 today to reserve your injectable appointment with one of JUVA’s expert injectors.