A mini-tummy tuck – also called a “partial abdominoplasty” – is an excellent option for patients who only need body contouring below the belly button. Mini-tummy tuck is the least invasive form of abdominoplasty, which means it involves a faster recovery process and less scarring overall.
During your initial consultation, our experienced NYC plastic surgeon will discuss whether or not a mini-tummy tuck would be the best option for you to achieve your cosmetic goals. Please call us today at (888) 610-3133 to schedule a tummy tuck consultation.
Benefits of a Mini-Tummy Tuck
Mini-tummy tucks come with several advantages for patients, including:
- Less scarring – The lower incision used for a mini-tummy tuck does not extend out to the hip as it does in a full abdominoplasty. This leaves you with a significantly smaller scar.
- No repositioning of the belly button – Since a full tummy tuck requires tightening a large section of skin, the belly button is usually shifted to help it maintain a more normal position, requiring an incision around the navel. However, during a mini-tummy tuck, no repositioning of the belly button is needed; you can avoid a belly button scar.
- More affordable – Since a mini-tummy tuck requires less surgical work than a full abdominoplasty, it is also less expensive, which can be a great advantage for many patients.
Mini-Tummy Tuck Candidates
A full tummy tuck is designed to tighten skin from the level of the ribs and below. In contrast, a mini-tummy tuck only targets the skin and muscles from the belly button down. This means that if you have a significant amount of excess skin and/or loose muscles above the level of your belly button, we may recommend a full tummy tuck instead of a mini.
Apart from these considerations, the ideal mini-tummy tuck candidate should also:
- Be at a stable weight
- Have good skin elasticity
- Have realistic expectations
We will review your medical history and other relevant details during your consultation to make sure a mini-tummy tuck is right for you.
Mini-Tummy Tuck: Procedure and Recovery
The mini-tummy tuck procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia. Our plastic surgeon will make a small incision along your bikini line in order to remove excess skin and tighten the lower portion of your abdominal muscle wall. The remaining skin will then be stretched to achieve a firmer and more contoured overall appearance. In some cases, we may recommend liposuction to enhance your results.
Recovery from a mini-tummy tuck is substantially shorter than a full abdominoplasty, and you will also experience less discomfort. Most patients are able to return home the same day of their procedure. You will be required to wear a compression garment for several weeks to help your incisions heal. We will provide you with detailed post-operative instructions and regularly follow up with you to ensure you are healing normally.
You can perform light activities – such as walking – shortly after your procedure, and can expect to return to work in about one to two weeks. However, you should avoid strenuous exercise and heavy lifting for at least a month.
If you have further questions about the mini-tummy tuck procedure, please contact JUVA Skin & Laser Center by phone at (888) 610-3133 or fill out the form on this page to schedule an initial consultation with our experienced NYC plastic surgeon. We serve patients throughout Manhattan and New York City.