Many women struggle with the development of cellulite, which is typically described as dimples resembling cottage cheese or the texture of an orange peel. This skin condition happens to women of all sizes and often worsens with age, but there are a few ways to treat cellulite and strengthen your weakening connective tissues. While lotions and creams do little to nothing to reduce cellulite, laser treatments can stimulate your body to repair your tissues and produce more collagen.
At JUVA Skin & Laser Center, we offer Cellulaze to treat unwanted cellulite. Dr. Bruce Katz, founder of the JUVA Skin & Laser Center and one of the original pioneers of SmartLipo™, was the sole dermatologist in the U.S. to conduct the clinical trials of Cellulaze that led to its FDA clearance. JUVA Skin & Laser Center is the only World Cellulaze Training Center in New York.
You can find out whether you’re a good candidate for cellulaze by speaking with one of our cosmetic dermatologists in person. Please call 212-688-5882 to schedule a consultation at our Manhattan office or 718-729-8512 to schedule a consultation at our Woodside office.
- What Is Cellulite?
- Aging Can Make Cellulite Worse
- Common Cellulite Myths
- Cellulaze Cellulite Treatment
- Benefits of Cellulaze
- Cellulaze Recovery and Results
- Alternative Cellulite Treatments
- Contact our NYC Cosmetic Dermatologists
What Is Cellulite?
Cellulite is a condition that results in a lumpy, dimpled skin appearance. It most commonly occurs on the:
The condition occurs when bands of fat push up against the connective tissue in the deeper layers of your skin. This creates an uneven skin surface, resulting in the dimpled appearance that we know as cellulite.
There are several potential causes of cellulite. These include:
- Hormonal changes—The slowing production of estrogen in women causes poor circulation, less collagen production, and connective tissue breakdown.
- Genetics—You could be more prone to cellulite if other members of your family have had the skin condition.
- Smoking—Smoking damages your skin by reducing blood vessel flow and disrupting collagen formation, making it easier for connective tissues to stretch and become damaged.
- Lack of exercise and muscle tone—Exercise and strength training can help reduce the appearance of cellulite, but won’t get rid of it completely.
- Excess fat deposits—Maintaining a healthy weight can reduce the stress on the connective tissue within your skin and prevent cellulite.
- Poor diet – A diet very high in carbohydrates can elevate blood insulin levels and promote fat formation. This increased body fat can contribute to the development of cellulite.
- Accumulated toxins – Excess buildup of toxins in fat cells can cause them to enlarge, exacerbating the appearance of cellulite.
Aging Can Make Cellulite Worse
One factor that impacts cellulite appearance is age. Young people can still develop cellulite, but aging can often make the condition much more prominent.
A number of factors determine how significant your cellulite issues are, and aging can make the following factors worse:
- Skin thickness and elasticity – As we age, our skin thins and loses elasticity, which means the fat under your skin becomes more prominent.
- Amount of fat – The more fat that is in these chambers, the more is pushed up into your layer of skin. As we age, we naturally pick up fat, and a lot of it is distributed to the thighs and buttocks, which are most vulnerable to cellulite.
Common Cellulite Myths
Cellulite affects more than 80% of women. In spite of its prevalence, the condition is very misunderstood. Here is the truth behind some of the most common cellulite myths.
Myth #1: Only Fat Women Get Cellulite
This is simply not true. Although fat deposits contribute to cellulite, it is not the amount of fat, but the structure of fat that causes the formation of cellulite. Even relatively skinny and athletic women get the unattractive dimpled skin appearance. For women with cellulite, weight loss may reduce, have no effect, or even increase its appearance.
Myth #2: Exercise Can Prevent Cellulite
The theory behind this myth is that reducing the amount of fat and increasing the amount of muscle in an area can reduce the appearance of cellulite. Some people may see results from exercise, but as with weight loss, it may actually increase the appearance of cellulite by further tightening the connective tissue bands that create the dimpled appearance on the skin.
Myth #3: Liposuction Is A Cellulite Treatment
It’s a common misconception that liposuction can get rid of cellulite, when the reality is that liposuction may actually make it worse. Liposuction is an effective body contouring treatment, but it is not an effective cellulite treatment.
Myth #4: Drinking More Water Will Prevent/Cause Cellulite
The contradictory nature of this myth should tell you just how reliable it is. You should always drink the recommended amount of water, but other than clinical dehydration, the amount of water you drink should not affect the appearance of cellulite.
Myth #5: Skin Creams Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite
There is some basis for this myth. Thin skin can increase the appearance of cellulite, so if you can thicken the skin over areas where cellulite appears, you might be able to reduce its severity. There was even one small study showing that 0.3% retinol cream improved the appearance of cellulite when applied for six months. Other studies have not confirmed these results, though, nor have they shown the effectiveness of other cellulite creams.
Myth #6: Only Women Get Cellulite
Cellulite is much more common in women, but approximately 10% of men may also suffer from the condition, and many of them seek treatment.
Cellulaze Cellulite Treatment
Cellulaze is the first minimally invasive treatment that addresses cellulite at the structural level underneath your skin’s surface. A small hand-held device is used to liquefy fat and break up fibrous bands of tissue that pull down the skin and create the dimpled appearance of cellulite. With fewer connective bands of tissue, you have fewer dimples and an overall smoother appearance. In addition, Cellulaze stimulates collagen production, making your skin thicker and smoother. This provides additional improvement in the appearance of cellulite.
Ideal Cellulaze candidates:
- Are in good overall health
- Have realistic expectations for the outcome of the procedure
- Have moderate cellulite
- Are able to maintain a stable, healthy weight
- Do not smoke or are willing to quit prior to the procedure and throughout the recovery
Our doctors are among the most experienced users of this technology, and we understand the importance of proper candidate selection to ensure the best possible results. During your consultation, we will talk to you about the procedure and your medical history and help you understand whether this is a good treatment for you.
Benefits of Cellulaze
You’ll experience the following benefits from Cellulaze treatment:
- Clinically proven results –In clinical studies, increases in skin thickness and elasticity were observed, and the appearance of skin became smoother and more youthful.
- Long-lasting results – Patients involved in clinical studies achieved results lasting two years or longer.
- Single treatment – While other cellulite treatments require multiple sessions or applications, you can achieve your desired outcome with just one Cellulaze treatment.
Cellulaze Recovery and Results
After your Cellulaze treatment, you will initially be sore and tired. Downtime from Cellulaze is relatively minor. Expect to take one day off from work and up to one week off from strenuous activities. Most patients are able to gradually resume exercise shortly after their procedure, and it’s common to be able to complete your full workout routine 1-2 weeks after treatment.
You’ll begin to see initial results as the bruising and swelling subside, and you’ll continue to see an improvement in the appearance of cellulate for several months. Most patients experience their final results 3-6 months after treatment.
We encourage you to view our Cellulaze before and after photos to get a clearer understanding of the results you can achieve.
Alternative Cellulite Treatments
At JUVA Skin & Laser Center, we also offer ZWave cellulite treatment. This non-invasive procedure requires no downtime and causes no discomfort. It eliminates cellulite with acoustic wave technology. The targeted acoustic waves break down the fibers that pull the skin down and cause the dimpling effect of cellulite. ZWave also stimulates collagen to tighten the skin.
In our own study, ten out of ten women saw improvement in their cellulite after receiving ZWave treatments. The procedure usually requires 6-8 treatment sessions to obtain results.
Contact our NYC Cosmetic Dermatologists
At JUVA Skin & Laser Center, we are pioneers in the treatment of cellulite. We were among the first practices to use the revolutionary new Cellulaze treatment, and we were also the first to use the new Z-Wave technology. Our board-certified dermatologists are highly experienced in the use of these cellulite reduction methods, ensuring optimal results.
Please contact JUVA Skin & Laser Center using the form on this page to schedule a consultation. Call 212-688-5882 for an appointment at our Manhattan office or 718-729-8512 for an appointment at our Woodside office. We serve patients in NYC and nationwide.