Laser hair removal provides the most effective, long term solution for eliminating unwanted hair. At JUVA Skin & Laser Center, we offer the latest and most advanced laser hair removal options available to ensure the best possible results. We can help men and women get rid of hair on just about any part of their body.
Waxing, shaving or tweezing unwanted hair can be a hassle. These options are painful, time-consuming, and must be repeated on a regular basis. Laser hair removal offers long lasting results that eliminate these unpleasant hassles. After a few treatments, you will enjoy smooth, stubble-free skin.
You can find out whether laser hair removal is right for you by speaking with one of our board-certified dermatologists in person. Please call 212-688-5882 today to schedule a consultation. We serve patients throughout the NYC area from our offices in Manhattan and Woodside.
- Why Should I Consider Laser Hair Removal?
- How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
- Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
- Am I a Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
- Preparing for Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
- Laser Hair Removal with Vectus™ and Skintel™ Technology
- Laser Hair Removal Results
- Schedule a Complimentary Laser Hair Removal Consultation
Why Should I Consider Laser Hair Removal?
There are many reasons why you may want to choose laser hair removal instead of your current grooming method. Shaving must be done almost daily, which is less than ideal if you have a busy schedule. It often causes painful ingrown hairs or skin irritations. Some men and women also develop blotchy or bumpy skin due to shaving.
Waxing delivers smoother results and lasts longer than shaving, but it is still a temporary hair removal solution. You’ll need to wax regularly to maintain smooth skin. Waxing can also be very painful, making it a less than ideal grooming option.
Laser hair removal allows you to save time out of your daily schedule by eliminating this aspect of your grooming routine. You won’t have to endure painful waxing sessions or skin irritations. Once you’ve completed your laser hair removal sessions, you’ll be relatively hair free in the treated region. The hair follicles that are destroyed will never grow back.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser hair removal targets the pigment in the root of your hair follicle. The laser energy absorbed by your hair generates heat which destroys the follicles, preventing them from growing in the future. The difference in pigment between your hair and your skin allows the laser to directly target your hair while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
You will need multiple laser hair removal sessions to achieve your desired results due to the fact that there are three different phases to the hair growth cycle:
- Growth (anagen) phase
- Transition (catagen) phase
- Resting (telogen) phase
Laser hair removal works best on hair that is in the growth phase. During this phase, hair follicles have more pigment than at other times, making them more susceptible to laser energy. Roughly 75% of your hair is in the growth phase at all times. In order to ensure all unwanted hair is eliminated, you’ll need to repeat the process several times. During your subsequent treatments, any hairs that were previously in the transition or resting phase, but are currently in the growth phase, will be addressed. It usually takes four to six treatment sessions to achieve your desired results.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
There is a good reason why laser hair removal has become one of the most sought-out cosmetic treatments year after year. You’ll experience many benefits from your treatment, including:
- Precise, targeted results – The laser energy works directly on the hair follicles without damaging the skin in the region.
- Safe – Our FDA-approved lasers deliver, safe comfortable and predictable results.
- Fast – The lasers can effectively treat an area the size of a quarter in about one second. Removing hair from a small treatment area such as the upper lip only takes a few minutes, while larger treatment areas such as the back can be addressed in 20-30 minutes.
- Permanent results – While it takes several sessions to fully achieve your desired outcome, you will enjoy permanent results. Once the hair is eliminated, it will never grow back.
- Convenient – Eliminate the hassles associated with regular shaving or waxing. Save time in your daily grooming routine, and avoid painful skin irritations and ingrown hair.
Am I a Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal can be used on virtually any part of the body including:
- Upper lip and face
- Bikini area
In general, the best results are achieved when there is a significant difference in the color of your skin and hair. Since laser hair removal targets the pigment in your hair follicle, men and women with light skin and dark hair are ideal candidates. However, the state-of-the-art lasers we use allow us to achieve good results with just about any skin type. We have 3 different lasers to handle any type of hair color or texture.
Preparing for Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
At JUVA Skin & Laser Center, we’re committed to delivering the best possible results with your laser hair removal treatment. We want you to enjoy a safe, comfortable experience that leaves you with smooth, hairless skin. In order to help us provide the outcome you desire, it’s important that you take the following steps prior to treatment:
- Refrain from tanning for several weeks prior to your treatment – This will allow for the greatest difference in pigmentation between your hair and skin, which will optimize the effectiveness of the laser. Always wear sunscreen, long-sleeved shirts, pants and a wide-brimmed hat whenever you’re outside for two weeks prior to your treatment to minimize sun exposure.
- Don’t use any bronzers or spray-on tanning products the week before laser hair removal – There are metallic ingredients in these spray products which can cause burn injuries.
- Shave the treatment area prior to your treatment – This should be done either the night before or the morning of your laser hair removal session. Shaving prior to your appointment will minimize the treatment time.
- Avoid waxing, tweezing or plucking unwanted hair prior to treatment or in between laser hair removal sessions – While shaving is encouraged right up to your appointment, it’s important that you avoid these other hair removal methods for at least two weeks prior to your treatment.
- Let our dermatologists know about any medications or supplements you are taking – Discuss your current medication regimen with us during your consultation since certain prescription drugs or dietary supplements may need to be discontinued for at least a week prior to treatment.
- Don’t wear any makeup to your laser hair removal session – This can make it harder for the laser to detect the pigment in your hair.
Laser Hair Removal with Vectus™ and Skintel™ Technology
JUVA Skin & Laser is proud to offer the latest technology for fast, effective hair reduction: the revolutionary Vectus™ Laser and Skintel™ Melanin Reader. Both devices have been FDA-approved for laser hair removal on the widest possible range of skin and hair types.
The Vectus Laser is considered the least painful laser treatment available for hair removal, and it has been recognized for several other benefits when compared to other lasers:
- Treats the widest range of skin types
- Eliminates many side effects and offers the lowest complications
- Most comfortable laser available for patients
- Gets rid of hair quickly in larger areas, such as the back
- Requires fewer treatment sessions
- No downtime required after treatment
The Skintel Melanin Reader is a tool used in conjunction with Vectus to accurately measure the melanin (pigment) in your skin. The traditional treatment for laser hair removal involves a visual inspection of your skin and evaluation of your medical history. This is useful, but does little to determine the pigment density in your skin and hair follicles. The Skintel Melanin Reader eliminates this issue by quickly measuring your melanin, providing our dermatologists with the best understanding of your skin tone and its threshold for laser energy.
We’re able to achieve remarkable precision with the Skintel reader and give you excellent, highly predictable results with less risk of side effects. The reader is a great addition to our laser hair removal and skin rejuvenation treatments.
Laser Hair Removal Results
Within a few days of your laser hair removal treatment, hair will begin falling out. A gentle wash will help get rid of the shed hairs. This process should be complete within two weeks after your treatment.
Multiple treatment sessions are necessary, with the number depending on your hair and skin color as well as the amount of hair in its dormant phase. On average, four to six sessions are necessary to achieve optimal results, after which you should experience several months of almost complete hairlessness. Overall, you can expect an 85% permanent reduction of hair in the treated area.
There are many factors that will determine the quality of your laser hair removal outcome. At JUVA Skin & Laser Center, our experienced laser dermatologists understand these factors and can design a treatment plan that will give you the best results for your specific hair issue. We offer a free laser hair removal consultation, and we also have a MediSpa where we can perform complementary treatments to help your skin look and feel its best.
Schedule a Complimentary Laser Hair Removal Consultation in Manhattan or Woodside
Please contact JUVA Skin & Laser Center using the form on this page or call 212-688-5882 today to schedule a free laser hair removal consultation. We serve patients throughout the NYC area and around the world from our offices in Manhattan and Woodside.