If the appearance of veins on your face, legs, or elsewhere is making you self-conscious, we can make them disappear. We offer many different vein treatment options so you can effectively get rid of your visible veins in the way that best suits your skin and your cosmetic goals.
At JUVA Skin & Laser Center, we've been helping men and women be free from their spider or varicose veins for decades. To set up a personalized vein treatment consultation, please contact us today by calling (212) 688-5882. We serve Manhattan, Woodside, NYC, and worldwide.
On this page, you will find information regarding:
- What Are Visible Veins?
- Spider Veins
- Varicose Veins
- Laser Vein Treatments
- Sclerotherapy Vein Removal
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy
- Ways to Prevent Future Spider and Varicose Veins
- Scheduling Your Vein Treatment Consultation
What Are Visible Veins?
We all know that veins are important, but we want them to do their job as out of sight as possible. In fact, when veins become visible, it generally means they aren't doing their job effectively. Spider and varicose veins are caused by venous insufficiency, meaning blood gets "backed up".
Your veins are designed to carry blood throughout your body and back to your heart. However, if your vein doesn't have the right pressure needed to carry blood back to the heart to be re-oxygenated, the blood will sit and coagulate in the vein, causing your vein to turn darker in color. When this happens, you may develop small blue or purple spider veins or even larger varicose veins which may protrude from the skin. While these veins often do not pose a health risk, they can be a cosmetic annoyance. In some cases, they can also cause discomfort.
Also known as telangiectasias, spider veins are a common, milder variation of varicose veins. Spider veins occur when widened blood vessels cause thin lines and web-like patterns to appear on the skin. They can be red, purple, or blue in color and can appear on any part of the body. People commonly develop spider veins on their face and legs.
There are many risk factors for developing spider veins, including:
- Heredity: Vein health is a trait that can be passed down through your family tree. If a relative of yours is prone to developing visible veins, you may be prone to them as well.
- Age: Veins can lose elasticity over time, making it difficult for them to function as effectively as they did before. This can make them prone to coagulation.
- Gender: While anyone can develop visible veins, women suffer from them more than men. According to the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, up to 80 percent of women experience some form of varicose vein condition, including spider veins, by age 80.
- Weight: Obesity is linked to increased venous pressure and a potential lack of physical activity. Both of these factors can cause visible veins to develop.
- Pregnancy: Many women experience visible veins due to hormonal changes and increased blood volume during pregnancy. These veins often fade after delivery, but some women may require treatment to get rid of them.
- Daily activity: If you have a sedentary job or find yourself sitting or standing for most of the day, you may be more prone to developing spider and varicose veins. These activities can impede your normal blood flow, which can lead to venous issues.
- Prior trauma or surgery: Any event that causes vascular damage can potentially elevate your risk of developing visible veins.
Though certain characteristics and lifestyle factors can make you more susceptible to developing visible veins, anyone can be affected by them. We help many men and women treat the unwanted appearance of spider veins.
A more noticeable and problematic variation of spider veins, varicose veins are distinguished by their bulging, gnarled appearance. The risk factors for developing varicose veins are nearly identical to that of spider veins. Varicose veins typically appear on the legs, though they can emerge in other places. These veins are often a cosmetic concern, but they can also lead to more serious issues. For example, they may indicate an increased risk of circulatory problems.
Varicose veins can cause pain and other non-cosmetic issues, including:
- Aching and cramping
- Burning, tingling, and/or itching
- Restless or tired legs
- Changes in skin color or texture
- Skin sores
Many people seek treatment for visible veins for aesthetic reasons alone. But varicose veins can also cause intense discomfort. You don’t have to put up with the cosmetic and physical symptoms of visible veins. We have safe and effective treatment options to help you achieve smoother, more even skin.
Laser Vein Treatments
Laser vein treatment is one of the most flexible and noninvasive treatment options available. In fact, this is often the preferred treatment method for facial spider veins. The laser creates a gentle pulse that destroys the blood vessels, causing the vein to shrink and eventually disappear over time.
We have several advanced lasers that can be used to target purple spider veins as well as red or purple vascular lesions and burst blood vessels. Our preferred laser vein treatment involves a double-duty laser called Cynergy Multiplex.
By combining the wavelengths of the Cynergy 595 nm laser and the Cynergy 1064 nm laser in one handpiece, the Cynergy Multiplex produces more effective results than either laser could achieve alone. This combination of lasers helps to fade skin pigmentation associated with visible veins at many different depths.
The benefits of laser vein treatments include:
- Minimal healing time
Depending on the size and nature of the veins being treated, multiple sessions may be required. Our dermatologists can give you an estimate of how many treatment sessions you may require during your consultation.
Sclerotherapy Vein Removal
Sclerotherapy is a simple and easy way for our NYC dermatologist to help you be free from the embarrassment of a large, dark vein showing. Oftentimes, visible veins form on the back of the calves so they, unfortunately, show when you're wearing shorts or a bathing suit. This simple treatment can help rid your body of those unwanted veins and help you love the way you look.
Sclerotherapy is a procedure where our Manhattan dermatologist injects a chemical into your varicose and spider veins. This chemical makes the blood vessel constrict and causes your body to remove the veins naturally.
We utilize a specific formula called Asclera™, which has several advantages over previous sclerotherapy formulas. Asclera™ is an FDA approved injectable sclerotherapy treatment available to doctors for use on spider veins up to 3mm in diameter. Once injected, it works to close the vein and eventually causes it to disappear.
There is no downtime after a treatment, and most veins only require one or two sessions to fade completely. This is a convenient and effective solution for many patients who struggle with the appearance of visible veins.
Ambulatory phlebectomy, a minimally invasive surgical procedure, is sometimes recommended for the most serious varicose veins. This procedure involves removing superficial veins through very small incisions.
Before suggesting this procedure, our dermatologists will evaluate your relevant medical history and conduct an examination of your veins. It is important to determine if the varicose veins are the primary concern, or if they may be connected to other problematic veins. It is also necessary to look for any clots that need to be addressed.
For severe veins that cannot be improved with other methods, an ambulatory phlebectomy can be an effective treatment option. Many patients do not require this procedure and will benefit from either laser or sclerotherapy treatment options.
Ways to Prevent Future Spider and Varicose Veins
Many patients want to know what they can do to prevent any visible veins from developing after treatment. We know that after you have regained your smooth and even skin, you want to keep it that way. While it can be difficult to completely prevent any future visible veins, there are some steps that you can take to minimize your risk.
Our dermatologists may suggest that you:
- Wear compression garments: Properly fitted compression stockings can help evenly distribute pressure throughout your legs. This can help support healthy blood circulation in your ankles and legs.
- Avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time: To maintain proper circulation, alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day, especially at work. Consider taking short breaks to stretch as well. Being in one position for a long time can place pressure on your veins.
- Elevate your legs: It can be beneficial to prop your feet up when you are sitting. An ottoman, footstool, or even a box can help take pressure off of your legs and improve your circulation.
- Wear loose clothing: Clothing that is overly-restrictive can impede your circulation.
Since so many people suffer from spider and varicose veins, there is a lot of information out there about treatment options. The methods that we offer at JUVA Skin & Laser Center are safe and effective. Our experienced dermatologists have been helping people eliminate their visible veins and regain their confidence for years. We can examine your specific concerns and suggest the right treatment method for you.
Schedule Your Vein Treatment Consultation
At JUVA Skin & Laser Center, our dermatologists have the experience and the technology needed to eliminate your visible veins. We want you to rediscover the freedom of wearing whatever you want, without feeling self-conscious or embarrassed about the appearance of your skin. Schedule your individualized consultation today by calling (212) 688-5882. We welcome patients from Manhattan, Woodside, NYC, and worldwide.